We must remember that even Mayor Kasim Reed had a “do over” moment when the Executive Committee of the Atlanta Regional Roundtable for the Transportation Investment Act of 2010 was formed in December 2010. The initial members were Mayor Bucky Johnson (Norcross), Mayor Mark Mathews (Kennesaw), Mayor Bill Floyd (Decatur), Henry County Commissioner Chair B.J. Mathis, and Douglas County Commission Chair Tom Worthan. Could someone please explain where the passion was and trust when Mayor Kasim Reed, CEO Burrell Ellis, and Chairman John Eaves were refused a position on the Executive Committee?
Yet, the people who oppose TSPLOST are vilified for requesting a “do over." As a Community Missionary and Founder of Unhappy Taxpayer & Voter, I challenge Mayor Kasim Reed in a debate on the issue of TIA/TSPLOST! Let's focus on the money and jobs. We ask everyone to get on the "frontline" and demand equity for DeKalb County.
What is "Plan B"? Plan B starts with the repeal of an outdated policy that places MARTA in financial crises - Repeal 50/50 Restriction. If you don't pay, you should not have a say!
· TSPLOST will increase taxes on food and prescriptions. Since DeKalb and Rockdale County had their food tax increased January 2011, this will be a 2% tax increase on food in less than a two year period. Review Doc:http://www.scribd.com/doc/96545640/HB1221-Taxation-of-Food-and-Food-Ingredients#page=4
· MARTA can’t use any of the money from TSPLOST for operations and maintenance. Review Doc:http://www.scribd.com/doc/96553881/HB277-TIA-restriction-on-MARTA-operation-and-maintenance#page=2
· DeKalb and Fulton County already pay a 1% transportation tax called MARTA tax. Why should we be forced to pay double? Review Doc:http://www.scribd.com/doc/92194885/Transportation-Investment-Act-Return-on-Investment-for-County-City
Below is a list of the TSPLOST transit projects considered to be MARTA projects:
MARTA State of Good Repair Capital Projects:
· $600 million (Representative Sean Jerguson [Republican] threatens a lawsuit if any money from TSPLOST is used for MARTA because it violates the law) View Video and AJC article: http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/debate-over-t-splost-1444861.htmland http://youtu.be/0Pi0pri6_-k
Expansion projects in MARTA’s Jurisdictions:
· I-20 East $225 million (Buses)
· Clifton Corridor $700 million
Transit projects sponsored by other jurisdictions
Project Development Funding:
· North Line $37 million
· I-85 NE Line $95 million
· Griffin/Macon Commuter Rail $20 million
· Atlanta Beltline $602 million
· Cobb County NW Corridor $689 million
· Piedmont/Roswell BRT $50 million
End Result: DeKalb County especially South DeKalb will not receive its share of funding from TSPLOST. We deserve better!