1. Make Football Food Fun!- Whether you are a devoted Dawgs fan, yell for the Yellow Jackets, go for the Gators, team up for the Tigers, cheer on the Commodores or root for the Razorbacks, you can show your team spirit with fun, colorful and healthy tailgating platters. Check out these fun creations as inspiration for your next party.
2. Tackle Your Pre-Game Appetite - Whether the game starts at noon or early-evening, make sure your future Hall of Famer eat healthy meals in advance of kick-off so they are less tempted by snacks later.
3. Get Off the Sidelines – Remind your kids that their favorite football super heroes rose to gridiron greatness by being activeand fueling their bodies with healthy food. So go out and throw the ball around before or after the game, simulate some “Training Camp” activities for the kids or try our Fall Football Challenge to keep your kids active during the game:
· First Quarter – At kick-off, have your kids jog around the room
· Second Quarter – After your team scores, have your kids do their own "touchdown dance"
· Third Quarter – After the first third down, have the kids do 4 jumping jacks
· Fourth Quarter – During the first commercial break, have your kids jog in place for the duration of one commercial
4. Step In With Healthy Substitutions – Score healthy eating points with simple, yet yummy ingredient substitutions(ex: like Greek yogurt instead of sour cream) when you’re preparing your Super Bowl party spread. Check out Strong4Life’s better-for-you game day favorites like a 3 Bean Chili, veggie pizza or quick and easy snack ideas.
5. Sack Sugary Beverages - Just because the athlete's on the field may be drinking sports drinks, doesn't mean your kids should be! Sugar sweetened beverages like soda, energy drinks, sports drinks and even juice are just “liquid candy.” Add some pizzazz to the water by adding slices of fruit that match the colors of your team.
Parents are the coaches of our own families and when we guide them toward healthier choices—no matter what the occasion—we make everyone on our team a winner in the quest for good health. Click here for more healthy eating tips from Strong4Life.