Patch Staff Report
DeKalb Schools Superintendent Michael Thurmond announced Thursday that he will recommend next week an extended school calendar because of instructional days lost to winter weather.
“Our primary responsibility is to help students improve, achieve and grow,” Thurmond said in a news release. “The revisions proposed to the DeKalb Board of Education will maximize instruction time for our students prior to the administration of the Criterion Reference Competency Tests (CRCT) and the End of Course Tests (EOCT).”
DeKalb County lost eight instructional days due to snow, sleet and ice storms in January and February. The Georgia Board of Education has allowed local school systems to decide whether to waive up to seven days lost to inclement weather.
At Monday's March 3 meeting of the Board of Education, Thurmond will recommend the following schedule changes:
Add five instruction days prior to the CRCT for students in grades 3-8 by moving the testing dates from April 15-24 to April 22-May 1.
Add three instructional and remediation days to the end of the school year - May 21-23
Move the CRCT re-test window to May 20-22 to recoup remediation days prior to the CRCT re-assessment
The original schedule for the EOCT testing is unchanged for May 5-12 for students in grades 9-12
In addition to the calendar revisions, the district will provide enhanced support and resources designed to improve academic growth and achievement for teachers, students and administrators. Teachers will receive in-service professional learning including Saturday sessions, on March 15. Also, workshops for parents and families to support and strengthen home-school learning will be scheduled.
Below is the proposed complete plan for make-up days.
- To recoup and maximize the number of instructional days prior to the administration of the Criterion Reference Competency Tests (CRCT) and End of Course Tests (EOCTs)
- To recoup and maximize the number of days for remediation prior to the second administration of the CRCT and EOC.
To maximize student growth and achievement through targeted Professional Learning for teachers, department heads, and
Recoup three instructional days to the calendar - May 21-23, 2014
- Move the CRCT testing window back one week - April 22 – May 1, 2014 to allow for 5 additional instructional days prior to the administration of the CRCT.
- Move the CRCT re-test window - May 20-22, 2014 to recoup remediation days prior to the CRCT re-assessment.
The EOCT administration will be May 5-12, 2014
Post-planning day for second semester - May 27, 2014
- Professional Learning Day for all staff - May 28, 2014
- Recoup and maximize 5 instructional days prior to the administration of the CRCT
- Utilize the 12 instructional days after the first CRCT administration for remediation including 4 instructional days for targeted remediation upon receipt of test results for all elementary and middle schools before the CRCT re-test administration on May 20th, 21st, and 22nd
- Add 3 days to the calendar to recoup instructional time
- Provide continued support and resources for DeKalb’s focus on growth and achievement for teachers, department heads, and administrators through targeted high quality professional learning
- Provide targeted Parental & Family Engagement Workshops to support the home-school connection to improve growth and academic achievement