.

2 Thermo Pac Workers Taken to Hospital After Chemical Spill

Firefighters and some Thermo Pac workers were decontaminated at the Stone Mountain building Friday after a nitric acid spill.

Firefighters and some Thermo Pac workers were decontaminated at the building after a nitric acid spill. Credit: Screenshot from WXIA TV
Firefighters and some Thermo Pac workers were decontaminated at the building after a nitric acid spill. Credit: Screenshot from WXIA TV

Two employees of Thermo Pac in Stone Mountain were taken to the hospital as a precaution after one of the workers spilled nitric acid on her clothing and others rushed to help her, reports WXIA TV.

DeKalb County Fire Department hazmat teams spent Friday morning cleaning up after the chemical spill at the food packaging company. Nitric acid is described on science websites as a highly toxic and very corrosive acid.

DeKalb fire Capt. Eric Jackson said the department was called around 8 a.m.

An employee carrying nitric acid out of a lab dropped the container, which broke as it hit the floor. The building was evacuated.

Hazardous materials crew members decontaminated the woman who carried the container, two other Thermo Pac employees who came to her rescue and several firefighters at the scene, said the TV station. The woman carrying the container and one other employee went to the hospital as a precautionary measure.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »