The following are local volunteer opportunities and donation needs:
Help Needed -Volunteers
- DeKalb County Natural Resources Management has room for volunteers to help with cleanup and general maintenance at Biffle Park on Biffle Road this Saturday, Aug. 25, from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. If you can lend a hand or want more information, call 404-371-2540.
- East DeKalb Boys & Girls Club, 6020 Paul Rd. in Lithonia, has volunteer opportunities for those who want to help out regularly as well as for young professionals.
- in the City of Stone Mountain has several needs for volunteers, including for animal transportation, food and donation pickups, and more.
- Community and corporate mentoring at DeKalb Schools: According to the school system's website, there are opportunities for company employees and folks from local community organizations to volunteer as mentors to students on a one-to-one basis. If you'd like to try it, prospective mentors must complete an application, a background check through the DeKalb County School District Public Safety department, and attend a mandatory four-hour training session, the site says. Community and corporate mentor training sessions are held quarterly. Following training, mentors agree to spend at least thirty minutes a week with his/her student, according to the school site. The mentoring sessions occur regularly during school day. The DeKalb County School System's phone number is 678-676-1200.
- Donate to the Clubhouse: Learn about Side by Side Brain Injury Clubhouse's giving opportunities here.
- Knapsacks Needed:Young People Matter has an urgent need for things such as knapsacks, new or used luggage, and MARTA Breeze cards. For donation drop offs and pickups, call (770) 744-4050, or email YPM at email@example.com.