The following are local volunteer opportunities and donation needs:
Help Needed -Volunteers
- This Saturday, Sept. 8, from 8:30-10:30 a.m. help get Stone Mountain Village spiffed up for upcoming fall events including the Granite Grasshopper and the Susan G. Komen 3-Day. Meet at the Stone Mountain Visitor Center, 891 Main Street, at 8:30 a.m. to lend a hand.
- Learn about .
Ongoing volunteer needs:
- East DeKalb Boys & Girls Club, 6020 Paul Rd. in Lithonia, has volunteer opportunities for those who want to help out regularly as well as for young professionals.
- in the City of Stone Mountain has several needs for volunteers, including for animal transportation, food and donation pickups, and more.
- Community and corporate mentoring at DeKalb Schools: According to the school system's website, there are opportunities for company employees and folks from local community organizations to volunteer as mentors to students on a one-to-one basis. If you'd like to try it, prospective mentors must complete an application, a background check through the DeKalb County School District Public Safety department, and attend a mandatory four-hour training session, the site says. Community and corporate mentor training sessions are held quarterly. Following training, mentors agree to spend at least thirty minutes a week with his/her student, according to the school site. The mentoring sessions occur regularly during school day. The DeKalb County School System's phone number is 678-676-1200.
Help Needed- Donations
- Knapsacks Needed: Young People Matter in Lithonia has an urgent need for things such as knapsacks, new or used luggage, and MARTA Breeze cards. For donation drop-offs and pickups, call (770) 744-4050, or email YPM at email@example.com
- Find out how you can donate to Side by Side Brain Injury Clubhouse in Stone Mountain
- The wish list for Atlanta Wild Animal Rescue Effort (AWARE), located at 4158 Klondike Rd. in Lithonia:
GENERAL ANIMAL CARE
- Batteries (AA)
- Feeding Bowls (no tip)
- Food Processor
- Heating Pads
- Laundry Detergent (unscented, dye-free)
- Chicken quarters
- Beef or venison
- Friskies canned classic paté (cat)
- Friskies Signature cat kibble
- Purina Complete dog kibble
- Wild bird seed
- Sunflower seeds
- Canned, mixed vegetables
- Mixed fruit baby food
- Sweet potato baby food
- Whole nuts