.

Reaction To Elderly Woman's Eviction: 'These People Are Fools'

According to a news outlet, the woman is being evicted for burning her dinner.

People are reacting strongly to Hairston Lake Apartments sending an eviction notice to an elderly resident because she burned her dinner.

CBS Atlanta reported in January that the food burned while the woman, Retha Scott, fell asleep in her apartment. No one was injured.

On Patch's business directory listing for Hairston Lake Apartments, people are voicing their disapproval of how the matter was handled.

From Patricia Cannon Agassounon:

There is no rating that this business should have considering they are doing something that will have a traumatic impact on a resident. I could see them doing the eviction if this were something that is repetitive but it not being said I think the way they are handling this is wrong. I am 61 years young and would never live in assisted senior citizen housing. I hope this lady has family that will take control and do something about what has been done.

Patch user Uncommonsensesc wrote:

These people are fools - evicting a 75-year old woman for falling asleep and burning her food! Cripes - I did that when I was 25 years old! What is wrong with these idiots????

A blog about the story also recently appeared on AOL Real Estate. A reader named k winters wrote:

I am wondering how many smokers live in the building that could fall asleep and set the place on fire. Falling asleep could happen to anyone.

Another reader, Arnie, brought up this point:

And what would happen to the Landlord if they knew this was a possibility of being a danger to all the other tenants and the Landlord did nothing about it?
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

The CBS Atlanta story states that the eviction notice says Scott "poses a threat to her neighbors."

An attorney has agreed to take on the case, CBS Atlanta reported.

A Hairston Lake spokesperson told the news outlet he could not discuss the details but was working on a "quick resolution."

What do you think of this case? Should an apartment resident be evicted for burning dinner? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.

Dan Johns February 07, 2013 at 06:14 AM
These are NOT assisted/eldery living apartments, and apparently, if any one bothered to look into it, she has actually done this multiple times...and not just falling asleep, but left the building!!! The local news styles themselves as "asking the tough questions"...How about just asking the basic ones. Is that too much to ask?
Erey February 07, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Everyday people fall a sleep while cooking. They are tired after coming from work and having to cook. With someone 75 years old what the Mgr should have done was call the City and see what services they have for seniors and give that to the senior instead of an eviction notice. Meals on wheels would have been good.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »