The following are local volunteer opportunities and donation needs in Stone Mountain and Lithonia:
- Volunteer Animal Caregivers, Atlanta Wild Animal Rescue Effort (AWARE), 4158 Klondike Road, Lithonia. You can help the folks at AWARE with basic duties in animal care and facility maintenance, such as feeding, cage cleaning, sweeping, etc. According to information on AWARE's site, you don't need to have a prior experience working with wildlife, but here are some requirements for volunteers:
- be at least 18 years old
- have their own transportation
- complete and sign a liability waiver form
- have a current tetanus vaccination
- vaccinate all domestic pets and advise staff of any pets that have not been vaccinated
- provide proof of rabies vaccination if working with rabies-vector species
- provide personal references and agree to the possibility of a background check
- become an AWARE member ($30 one-time membership fee that will be refunded at request upon completion of commitment)
For more information, go to AWARE's website . The phone number is 678-418-1111.
- Afterschool Program Classroom Assistant, Stone Mountain Youth Center, Refugee Family Services, 5561 Memorial Dr., Stone Mountain. Classroom assistants work with refugee children in first through eighth grades, students who have been in the U.S. for less than five years. Duties for tutors include homework, reading and writing help, as well as lending a hand to classroom supervisors in creation of activities, and more. Opportunities are weekly, 2:45 – 5:45 p.m. A minimum commitment of 2-3 hours, one day a week, for one semester is required.
Learn more about Refugee Family Services and its opportunities. The phone number is 404-299-6217.
- East DeKalb Boys & Girls Club, 6020 Paul Rd. in Lithonia, has volunteer opportunities for those who want to help out regularly as well as for young professionals. The phone number is 770-469-2126.
- , 6570 James B. Rivers Dr. in the City of Stone Mountain has several needs for volunteers, including for animal transportation, food and donation pickups, and more. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Voicemail: 678-318-1886.
Here's what's on AWARE's wish list:
GENERAL ANIMAL CARE
- Batteries (AA)
- Feeding Bowls (no tip)
- Food Processor
- Heating Pads
- Laundry Detergent (unscented, dye-free)
- Chicken quarters
- Beef or venison
- Friskies canned classic paté (cat)
- Friskies Signature cat kibble
- Purina Complete dog kibble
- Wild bird seed
- Sunflower seeds
- Canned, mixed vegetables
- Mixed fruit baby food
- Sweet potato baby food
- Whole nuts