“As the Community Relations Coordinator, Leslie will build relationships with civic groups, physician practices, church groups and others to enhance their knowledge of the health care services at Park Springs. Our health care services include Home Care, Assisted Living Care, Memory Care and Skilled Nursing Care,” according to Morgan. “She brings a wealth of experience and some exciting new approaches to programming, especially in the area of dementia and memory care.”
Prior to joining Cobblestone, Chapman worked with the Arbor Company for more than 13 years, including 12 years as Executive Director of Arbor Terrace at Cascade. She also worked as a consultant implementing senior programming in the Atlanta Public Library System and other senior organizations.
Chapman is the published author of seven recreational guides including Senior Trivia books that are part of the Ultimate Senior Collection, as well as books on manual recreation for seniors.
“I started volunteering at senior centers while I was in college,” explains Chapman, who graduated with a business degree from Georgia State University in 1991 and also holds a Gerontology Certificate from GSU. “It was a fun challenge to help find ways to engage and inspire seniors dealing with memory loss and dementia to participate in beneficial activities.”
Chapman notes that the last decade has brought about major changes in the approach to memory care. “I am interested in sharing new ideas, centered on the person, with the professionals at Cobblestone, such as the methods developed by dementia expert Teepa Snow. I am a great proponent of the positive physical approach where we connect with our clients before we do, including intentional eye contact.”
“Education is important, also for the families of people who move to Cobblestone. We need to be able to have conversations before the crisis,” according to Chapman. “Also, training is important. We all benefit when we are able to communicate clearly with the families, and when we respond in the best possible way to the needs of our memory care residents.”
ABOUT PARK SPRINGS:
Park Springs (completed in 2007), owned and operated by Isakson Living and professionally managed by Life Care Services, LLC, is a 54-acre campus-style Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) surrounded by Stone Mountain Park. Park Springs is a vibrant community of active adults 62 and above who live in spacious private homes and enjoy a club-inspired lifestyle. Park Springs includes 398 Independent Homes; a Health Center (Cobblestone) with 42 Skilled Nursing rooms (Pebblebrook), 14 Dementia suites (Julia’s Suite) and 20 AL suites (The Bridges); Clubhouse with variety of dining options and common areas; and Fitness Center with lap pool, therapy pool and exercise room. Members live in a detached single-family home, cottage home or condominium-style villa. The community provides dining options in diverse settings and many social, educational and enrichment opportunities. Residential options offering a higher level of service and care are also available on campus. These include home health, assisted living suites, memory care or Medicare-certified skilled nursing and rehabilitation. As situations change, Members can move into the type of home or environment that best meets their needs.
500 Springhouse Circle, Stone Mountain, GA 30087 678-684-3300
Cobblestone, located within Park Springs CCRC, provides assisted living, skilled nursing, short-term senior rehabilitation and secured memory care. Park Springs Members have assured access to all services, some of which may also available to those who live outside of Park Springs.
Cobblestone Services/Amenities Include:
• Meticulous and inviting surroundings, including a gazebo-style interior courtyard, activity room and beautiful living room with terrace
• Daily meals prepared to individual needs and preferences by the Cobblestone chef; meals which can be enjoyed in the Cobblestone dining room or in one's suite
• A private dining room where families can celebrate special occasions
• Beautiful walking trails, with access to neighboring Stone Mountain Park
• Daily housekeeping and maintenance
• A full schedule of engaging and productive activities, featuring seasonal celebrations, gardening, music and exercise
• Health services, including 24-hour professional nursing care, medication monitoring and nutritional services
• Physician on staff
• Physical, Occupational and Speech therapists available
• 24-hour security
• Transportation services
• Laundry facility and services
• On-campus bank, hair salon, general store, library and game room
• Wellness center with fitness equipment, pool, classes and counseling services
• Diverse clubs and interests, cultural events and excursions.