Reaction To Elderly Woman's Eviction: 'These People Are Fools'
According to a news outlet, the woman is being evicted for burning her dinner.
People are reacting strongly to Hairston Lake Apartments sending an eviction notice to an elderly resident because she burned her dinner.
CBS Atlanta reported in January that the food burned while the woman, Retha Scott, fell asleep in her apartment. No one was injured.
On Patch's business directory listing for Hairston Lake Apartments, people are voicing their disapproval of how the matter was handled.
From Patricia Cannon Agassounon:
There is no rating that this business should have considering they are doing something that will have a traumatic impact on a resident. I could see them doing the eviction if this were something that is repetitive but it not being said I think the way they are handling this is wrong. I am 61 years young and would never live in assisted senior citizen housing. I hope this lady has family that will take control and do something about what has been done.
Patch user Uncommonsensesc wrote:
These people are fools - evicting a 75-year old woman for falling asleep and burning her food! Cripes - I did that when I was 25 years old! What is wrong with these idiots????
A blog about the story also recently appeared on AOL Real Estate. A reader named k winters wrote:
I am wondering how many smokers live in the building that could fall asleep and set the place on fire. Falling asleep could happen to anyone.
Another reader, Arnie, brought up this point:
And what would happen to the Landlord if they knew this was a possibility of being a danger to all the other tenants and the Landlord did nothing about it?
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
The CBS Atlanta story states that the eviction notice says Scott "poses a threat to her neighbors."
An attorney has agreed to take on the case, CBS Atlanta reported.
A Hairston Lake spokesperson told the news outlet he could not discuss the details but was working on a "quick resolution."